Thursday, November 18, 2010

Post for Ch. 3

Sorry this is being posted so late. Just got signed into my blog again yesterday. I now have a New Post tab. Yay!!!!

Section 3 Super Summary
Dear Group,
I was really struggling with how to approach this week’s summary and decided I CAN write a letter. Therefore, here goes; my summary in letter form.
I was pretty frustrated throughout the reading of this section, and this book, for the most part. The author would like the readers to believe we are in the midst of observing the Dumbest Generation progressing into the future because of the vastness of the emergence of technology. I do believe there is a point and time in which all of us should choose between technology and the “in your hand” book. There is also a lot to be said about too much of a good thing. As an educator with an English class, I see, all too often, the student who can communicate a point in writing using the “text” jargon but does not see what is wrong with using “u” instead of “you” or “BTW” instead of “by the way”. They are also losing sight of proper grammar.
With this said, I still contend screen time is not necessarily making our upcoming generation “dumber”. I tend to agree with Lev Grossman of Time magazine when he states, “The new Web is a very different thing. It’s a tool for bringing together the small contributions of millions of people and making them matter. Silicon Valley consultants call it Web 2.0, as if it were a new version of some old software. But it’s really a revolution.” I feel the accessibility and availability of technology for our young people is empowering them to share their ideas and gives them an opportunity to hear from thousands of others all over the world instead of just within the walls of their school or classroom.
Another thought I had while reading this section and thinking about what I wanted to share; I grew up and learned without the technology that is available today. Now, as a teacher, I am sharing the information I absorbed and memorized with my students while allowing them to take advantage of the ease of research and investigation using the vast array of technology that makes learning fun and interesting.
Sincerely,
Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. I am not opposed to the new technology as much as I am opposed to how the students use it. If they were actually reading great works on their kindle or researching topics for their classes, then I am all for it. But in my experience with high school students, they are using it just as the author says they are---they are forgoing academics and using their smartphones, ipods, computers etc for gaming and social networking purposes--usually far into the night when their parents think they are asleep! And I see the result the next day when they can't keep their eyes open in my class. Parents need to set limits and stick to them.
    Geryl Schwab

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the key is to use the technology appropriately. Many students have decreased their ability with correct grammar because of technology. BTW = By the way, and so on. This is unfortunate. If the technology is used appropriately all will benefit.

    ReplyDelete