Wednesday, October 27, 2010

In Mark Bauerlein's introduction to his book, "The Dumbest Generation," he starts by giving examples of a small set of students from Bethesda, Maryland, in 2005, who, as he puts it, "have only one thing on their minds, SUCCESS, and one thing in their hearts, ANXIETY." They have descended into a "competitive frenzy" for grades and SAT scores, and Bauerlein makes a point about how miserable they are.

But midway through this introduction, Bauerlein switches gears to quote statistics proving how little American students actually do study, and how much time they spend plugged-in to TV and computer screens. His point is to underscore how, although the press may be broadcasting that we're overworking our students, the reality is that the intellectual condition of young Americans is on a downward spiral. His theme for his book is that while American students are given every conceivable opportunity to gain knowledge, "technology has concentrated their horizon to themselves" thereby crippling their intellect.

Chapter One starts with anecdotes taken from Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" clips where Jay asks people on the street pertinent questions and gets astoundingly stupid answers. Bauerlien goes on to cite several prestigious surveys which all back up his thesis that "most young Americans possess little of the knowledge that makes for an informed citizen, and too few of them master the skills needed to negotiate an information-heavy, communication-based society and economy."

After a parade of statistics pointing out how dumb our newest generation is, Bauerlien expresses his opinion that students now spend more time in school, students have access to more cultural institutions than ever before, and students have more money to spend pursuing leisure interests. According to him, the paradox of the Dumbest Generation is that "for the young American, life has never been so yielding, goods so plentiful, school so accessible, diversion so easy, and liberties so copious. The material gains are clear, and each year the traits of worldliness and autonomy seem to trickle down into ever-younger age groups. But it's a shallow advent. As the survey research shows, knowledge and skills haven't kept pace, and the intellectual habits that complement them are slipping."

At this point, I checked the book's copyright date.

2008.

I'm wondering if Bauerlein noticed what was happening around him in 2007 when he was writing this book?

--Karen Willmus

2 comments:

  1. I tend to sway both ways. I am a true technogeek and have always pointed myself and those I educate toward technology as much as I can because I feel this is the most interesting way our youth can learn today. I feel technology is a way to keep our students interested and when they are tuned in they are turned on. I also disagree with the author when he says that our students are turned off to education because they are addicted to technology. I don't feel today's students are any more disinterested in education than I was in the 70's. I see a child's disinterest in education as their way of spreading their wings and asserting their independence.
    On the other hand, I do feel too much of a good thing can get in the way. While trying to carry on a conversation with a teen who is only half tuned into me because their phone is buzzing, their email is beeping, etc I am frustrated. I also fear that there will come a point when, if education doesn't involve total technology, we will lose them altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    What was happening in 2007? I'm afraid my ignorance of technology is showing.
    Geryl

    ReplyDelete